The original building stood where the infant playground now is and was opened on 4th October 1880. It was the first Board School in Salford. The master in charge was Mr J Rowlands. By 1885 there were 225 pupils on roll.
The present junior building was opened in 1896. Girls were taught upstairs and the infants were taught downstairs. The boys were taught in an annex on Garnett Street, where the modern day end of the link corridor on the infant side is. By 1904 there were 600 pupils.
In 1929 Marlborough Road became two separate schools - Marlborough Road Infant school and Marlborough Road Junior School. The Head teacher of the junior school was called Mr Murray. He introduced school dinners for the first time.
At the start of WW2, 150 children and some teachers were evacuated to Fleetwood. During this time, the Garnett Street building was closed down and the boys and girls shared the current junior building.
After the war, there was a problem with overcrowding and the Garnett Street building was used once more to house three infant and three junior classes. The current infant building was built in 1973 and the building that now houses the school reception area and offices, previously the Community Wing, was added in the 1980s. The two schools amalgamated to form one Primary School in 1994. The sports hall was constructed in the early 2000s.
In 2014 the two buildings were linked by an undercover walkway as part of major refurbishment of the infant building.
Marlborough Road has seen many changes over more than 100 years. It has served the local community through industrialisation, two world wars, the depression and more recent times. Over the years it has become a global multi cultural school. These influences will continue as the school develops and changes in the future, under the leadership of the current Head teacher, Mrs Cookson, who took up her post in 2009. In 2012 there were 420 children on roll. In September 2012 Marlborough Road became an Academy, we now have almost 500 pupils on roll.